Thursday, April 20, 2006

Novelist Wannabe to Work for Food


I’ve arrived in Grand Rapids to attend the 2006 Festival of Faith & Writing at Calvin College. I almost didn’t attend, because I’m a failed novelist. There’s something a little sad about a woman who has never made a cent from her fiction writing still spending hundreds of dollars on writing conferences.

But, the biennial Festival of Faith & Writing is an inspirational event, even for writers who have to keep their day job. And that’s why I’ve returned, for the fifth time.

Fortunately, given the fact that attending yet another writing conference is in some ways a brutal reminder that I’ve never published a novel, my ego was saved by a last-minute invitation to host a lunch discussion. This fits my new mantra: If you can’t dazzle people, at least make yourself useful. I still don’t even know why I was invited to spearhead the discussion – Good, Bad, and Ugly Blogs – since I’m not a writing conference insider, and http://literarychristian.blogspot.com/ is my first-ever attempt at blogging. Therefore, any insights from more experienced bloggers are most welcome.

In the meantime, I’m happy to report that for playing hostess, I not only get bragging rights, but also a free box lunch. Maybe my writing IS feeding me!

(Photo: A view from my hotel window in Grand Rapids, Michigan. No leaves on the trees yet!)

No comments: