Friday, February 09, 2007

Publishing Teamwork Begins


I’ve heard it said that writing and editing your novel, and then finding a publisher, may take years (as it did in my case), but that’s still just step one. The next step is encouraging people to buy the book.

Towards that end, the teamwork of book publishing has begun in earnest. I’m working closely with Kregel’s marketing manager. I’ve filled out the forms that she sent me, that will help the team market my novel, asking questions about me and about my novel Desert Medicine (25-, 50-, and 200-word summaries of the book, how did I meet my husband, where would I like to travel.)

My husband Gene took “author” photos of me, using the local Starbucks as a backdrop, because that’s where I spend a lot of time writing.

Now I’m working on:

  • Questions for a readers guide for book clubs
  • A list of possible endorsers – people, often published authors, who might read my book before it’s published and write something nice and quotable about the book, to be printed on the book cover. One wonderful writer, Paula Huston, has already agreed to read the manuscript!!
  • A list of influencers – readers who are likely to tell their friends about my book if given a free copy

Yes, if I think too long about my lack of experience and the thought of all the public speaking ahead of me, I can hardly breathe. But then, life’s not boring!


Photo: Chapman University tower as seen from downtown Orange, California

No comments: